Non-Profit Trusted Source of Non-Commercial Health Information
The Original Voice of the American Academy of Anti-Aging, Preventative, and Regenerative Medicine
logo logo
Home » Testosterone

Testosterone causes belly fat during menopause

By Threadgvr at Dec. 30, 2010, 5:01 p.m., 23668 hits

Visceral fat, usually known as belly fat, is the fat surrounding internal organs around the waistline. Commonly thought to be a function of age, research from the Rush University Medical Center shows that it is in fact a change in hormone balance that causes an increase in visceral fat during menopause.

The study measured fat content in patients' abdominal cavities with CT scans, and blood tests gauged hormone levels. Findings revealed the the level of “bioavailable” testosterone, or testosterone that is active in the body may be the key predictor of visceral fat.

The study broadens an understanding of the role of the hormone testosterone in what is known as metabolic syndrome, a collection of risk factors for heart disease. Increased risk of cardiovascular disease in postmenopausal women was long thought to be caused by the loss of the protective effect of the hormone estrogen. According to Imke Janssen, lead author of the study, “…it is the change in the hormonal balance - specifically, the increase in active testosterone - that is predominantly responsible for visceral fat, and for the increased risk of cardiovascular disease.”

News source: http://www.healthjockey.com/2009/08/22/experts-discover-testosterone-may-be-responsible-for-belly-fat-during-menopause/

Posts [ 6 ] | Last post Dec. 30, 2010, 5:01 p.m.
#1 - Oct. 7, 2010, 10:07 p.m.
garyC

Is this for real? Interesting.. would be reading more about this. Thanks for posting!

#2 - Oct. 14, 2010, 1:44 p.m.
Anonymous

I recently read the opposite, that women needed testosterone added to their HRT to decrease muscle wasting avoid the increase in abdominal fat deposits.
Who are we suppose to believe?

#3 - Dec. 14, 2010, 10:07 a.m.
DrJohnKocka

I don't know any mechanism whereby physiologic replacement doses of testosterone would increase visceral fat in men or women. All the research I have seen shows a mild-moderate decrease in visceral fat with testosterone replacement. The effect may be more pronounced in males because of the higher dose used. I'll be there were confounders in that single study.

#4 - Dec. 16, 2010, 12:04 a.m.
smary

Very good. i am really impressed by the author and their thoughts.
========
Mobile Phone Offers

#5 - Dec. 27, 2010, 1:15 p.m.
The Blend Institute

Anonymous;1146:

I recently read the opposite, that women needed testosterone added to their HRT to decrease muscle wasting avoid the increase in abdominal fat deposits.
Who are we suppose to believe?

This is why levels need to be monitored using the lowest effective dose to achieve our desired results.
I believe if too much testosterone is used both men and women are probably aromatizing to estradiol and this is more likely the cause for increased body fat.
Too bad many of these studies are geared towards achieving a certain biased result without objectively looking at all the possible consequences.
To do a study on testosterone knowing that as we age there is a greater chance of aromatization with HRT mandates that we also measure estradiol.
Was this done in the study quoted? I doubt it!

#6 - Dec. 30, 2010, 5:01 p.m.

Hello, nice thread. Very nice information on testosterone belly fat problem.Exercises and natural supplements are really beneficial to cure this problem.