Non-Profit Trusted Source of Non-Commercial Health Information
The Original Voice of the American Academy of Anti-Aging, Preventative, and Regenerative Medicine
logo logo
Home » Robotics

Let This Robot Give You a Lesson in Facial Expressions

By maggiemay at Nov. 1, 2010, 1:41 p.m., 24168 hits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFVlzUAZkHY&feature=player_embedded

I have approximately three facial expressions: staring at computer (eyes glazed), staring at TV (eyes more glazed), and staring at phone (eyes focused, brow furrowed). Watching this truly freakishly expressive robot, however, I frowned a bit.

Recently, there was one robot that was better than me at singing and dancing and one that was better than me at bowling. I expect robots to be better than me at those sorts of things, so it didn't hit me too hard. This, however, is upsetting.

The Actroid-F, the latest version of Japanese roboticist Hiroshi Ishiguro's Geminoid robot, observes humans and then mimics their facial expressions. As you can see in this video, it does so quite accurately. Watching this robot purse her lips and raise her eyebrow, memories of real, human conversations came flooding back. Flirtations, frustrations, misunderstandings—all of the things that were unspoken but could be read in the slight twitch of some muscle in the face—all of them now, too, part of the dominion of robots.

And so it goes. Soon, no doubt, robots will feel joy even more ecstatically and love even more deeply than we humans do, and we will be content to go on staring at our computers and TVs and phones.

The Actroid-F is getting her start in Japanese hospitals where she'll watch patients and gauge their reactions. Someday, hopefully, they'll be able to teach patients to smile again.

http://gizmodo.com/5674736/let-this-robot-give-you-a-lesson-in-facial-expressions

— Last Edited by Dixie at 2010-10-28 14:29:18 —

Posts [ 4 ] | Last post Nov. 1, 2010, 1:41 p.m.
#1 - Oct. 29, 2010, 12:45 p.m.
Anonymous

Hey, something is wrong with your site in Opera, you should check into it.

#2 - Oct. 31, 2010, 3:41 p.m.
Anonymous

I don't know If I said it already but …Hey good stuff…keep up the good work! :) I read a lot of blogs on a daily basis and for the most part, people lack substance but, I just wanted to make a quick comment to say I'm glad I found your blog. Thanks,)

A definite great read…

#3 - Oct. 31, 2010, 6:15 p.m.
Anonymous

good read, post more!

#4 - Nov. 1, 2010, 1:41 p.m.
Anonymous

Periodization for the Bronze Age in the Ancient Near East is as follows:Most Indian curries are cooked in vegetable oil.That Homer possesses this rapidity without falling into the corresponding faults, that is, without becoming either fluctuant or monotonous, is perhaps the best proof of his unequalled poetic skill.But such a move would have hurt the Medici name, and so it was undertaken too late.Baebius Asiaticus who paid for the paving of the street:Cairo is a rapidly expanding city, which has led to many environmental problems.The label may identify the distillery as the main brand or as part of the product description.Sophia church of Kiev, Ukraine dating from the 12th century.Following the popularity of Gundam, various video games feature original characters previously not found in other media.This allowed Continental to buy back the golden share from Northwest Airlines, which it did.He has caused controversy by the elevation of unashamed kitsch into the high art arena, exploiting more throwaway subjects than, for example, Warhol's soup cans.It may not be her technical virginity that she is trying to preserve; it may be her own sexual awakening which is all she really has left to protect anymore. girl oral sex videoexplicit oral sexoral sex threesomesinstructions on oral sexhow to give better oral sexfluoride oral rinseoral creampie swalloworal histology pptimprove oral communicationoral thrush symptoms in adultsoral thrush dry mouthoral thrush yeast infectiondentist oral surgeonsoral sex commercialgonorrhea from oral sexoral sex hpvoral language classroomoral b precision toothbrushcolgate oral health advisorgiving men oraloral presentaionoral doseoral bac 2008female oral sex storiesdental oral canceroral on femalesexo oral mujeres malo el sexo oraldefinition of oral healthoral b electric flosserunprotected oral sex and hivbest oral sex guiderisk of hiv from receiving oraloral sex to a guyoral literary traditionmen having oral sex with menasian oral sex videossecond generation oral contraceptivesoral cum sexblack cock oraloral interpretation selectionshow to be good at oral sex