Non-Profit Trusted Source of Non-Commercial Health Information
The Original Voice of the American Academy of Anti-Aging, Preventative, and Regenerative Medicine
logo logo
Home » Industry & Business

accepting health insurance

By curlyspry at Jan. 5, 2011, 1:20 a.m., 23539 hits

I would like to accept health insurance in my private practice. Can anyone help me with how to code to achieve best reimbursement when spending 3–60mins with pts? what has worked in your practice?

Posts [ 3 ] | Last post Jan. 5, 2011, 1:20 a.m.
#1 - Dec. 14, 2010, 10:16 a.m.
DrJohnKocka

Right now, we still do the initial 2 screening visits (60-90 min each) through insurance with appropriate diagnosis codes but are certainly undercompensated for our time. Then charge an annual (or q6month) management fee if a patient joins, with quarterly visits and relatively open access if needed. After 5 years of practicing in this field, I'd advise you to move to a cash pay model in order to spend more time with patients and be able to keep the clinic open. Spending 30-60min with each patient and being reimbursed approx $80 for a 99214 follow up won't allow you to keep a clinic open.

#2 - Dec. 27, 2010, 7:12 p.m.
The Blend Institute

DrJohnKocka;39487:

Right now, we still do the initial 2 screening visits (60-90 min each) through insurance with appropriate diagnosis codes but are certainly undercompensated for our time. Then charge an annual (or q6month) management fee if a patient joins, with quarterly visits and relatively open access if needed. After 5 years of practicing in this field, I'd advise you to move to a cash pay model in order to spend more time with patients and be able to keep the clinic open. Spending 30-60min with each patient and being reimbursed approx $80 for a 99214 follow up won't allow you to keep a clinic open.

How do you set it up so one can collect a“membership fee” and still accept Medicare.
I have been working on this awhile to figure how to present this to my patients and still be legitiment for Medicare
Thanks in advance
Tim

#3 - Jan. 5, 2011, 1:20 a.m.
chrisklinton

Special thanks to The Blend Institute bcoz of providing such good information with us……