Non-Profit Trusted Source of Non-Commercial Health Information
The Original Voice of the American Academy of Anti-Aging, Preventative, and Regenerative Medicine
logo logo
Home » Detoxification

Mercury Toxicity from Amalgam Tooth Fillings

By tpantanella at Jan. 14, 2012, 2:41 p.m., 4892 hits

By Dr. Theresa R. Pantanella, PhD/Occupational Therapy

Dentists and patients alike have been led to believe that once mercury has been combined into a tooth’s filling material, it is innocuous and does not increase the health risk of the patient. No scientific research or data exists to support this hypothesis. To the contrary, evidence indicates that silver amalgam containing approximately 50% mercury is a source of extremely toxic elemental mercury.

The mercury has a half life of 25 years (i.e. it takes the body 25 years to get rid of 1/2 of a single dose of mercury under normal circumstances), with symptoms of mercury toxicity beginning as early as three to five years after the amalgam fillings have been put into place. The mercury halogenates when hot foods or beverages are consumed, crossing the blood brain barrier, and entering the cerebral spinal fluid. Also. the mercury molecules when exposed to normal oral and intestinal bacteria, produce methyl mercury molecules. These target the pituitary gland, thyroid gland, and the brain.

Autopsy studies from Sweden and Germany show a positive statistical correlation between the number of occlusal surfaces of dental amalgam and mercury levels in the brain and kidney cortex. Both elemental mercury and organic methyl mercury were found in brain tissue upon autopsy.

Mercury in dental amalgam fillings has been correlated to a depletion of the body's red and white blood cell levels and T-lymphocyte count, negatively affecting the immune system.

This is not a new health concern. In November 1988, the International Conference on Biocompatibility of Materials was held in Colorado Springs, Colorado, U.S.A. Discussions ensued between world authorities at the time on mercury and mercury toxicity, with the official conclusion:

Based on the known toxic potential of mercury and its documented release from dental amalgams, usage of mercury containing amalgam increases the health risk of the patients, the dentists and the dental personnel.

Studies have shown mercury toxicity symptoms of depression, fatigue, insomnia, tremor, loss of appetite, diarrhea, muscle pain, weakness and twitches, headaches and eczema. Another study reported Mercury has been linked to cerebellar syndrome, hypertension, and myocardial failure.

Multiple Sclerosis patients have been found to have eight times higher levels of mercury in the cerebrospinal fluid compared to neurologically healthy controls. Inorganic mercury is capable of producing symptoms which are indistinguishable from those of multiple sclerosis. Many studies report CNS symptoms including memory loss, depression, psychosis, cognitive problems, motor coordination loss, etc. The motor loss lasts even ten years after exposure. The most common group effected being thermometer factory workers.

Amalgam filling removal has been shown to help arthritis, exercise induced asthma and MS.

In conclusion, it is recommended patients have amalgam fillings properly removed by a qualified dentist. A dental dam needs to be in place for this procedure to not allow copious amounts of mercury to be absorbed by the patient during the procedure. Following the procedure, there may be a sharp increase in symptoms that will last for approximately seven days.

A detoxification program is also warranted at the same time to begin removing the poison from the tissues of the body. Levels of mercury toxicity can be measured by urinalysis prior to beginning the program and at its conclusion. The length and intensity of the program is dependent on the levels in the initial urinalysis. Detoxification programs can include infra-red sauna, Chelation therapy with supplements, suppositories or IV’s.

Katsunuma et al. Exercise-induced anaphylaxis: improvement after removal of amalgam in dental caries. Annals of Allergy, 1990 May, 64(5):472-5.

Siblerud et al..Evidence that mercury from silver dental fillings may be an etiological factor in multiple sclerosis. Science of the Total Environment, 1994 Mar 15




— Last Edited by Greentea at 2012-01-16 15:12:54 —

 
No Reply