Causes and Correction of UnderBite1 year, 1 month ago
Posted on Jan 31, 2022, 2 p.m.
Your smile can have a major impact on your self-confidence when you have to present yourself in social situations. Being able to carry yourself well in public comes naturally when you can show off a bright smile which highlights your approachability. Misaligned teeth tend to snatch that opportunity. They are a cause of severe concern not just cosmetically but also because they cause a variety of oral health issues.
An underbite is one such condition of misaligned teeth wherein your lower jaw protrudes farther than the upper jaw. Medically referred to as prognathism, this condition has several potential causes including, genetic influence, jaw injuries, or poor habits like thumb sucking or using pacifiers for too long during childhood. These causes will define the level of malocclusion, i.e., minor to extreme.
Although your orthodontist will help you reverse your underbite, you should know that it gets difficult to alter the structure of your teeth and jaw as you age. And if your condition is severe and left untreated, it can lead to a variety of health issues and excessive complications, in addition to making you feel unattractive.
Complications due to underbite
While your orthodontist would be the best person to detect the severity of your underbite, some certain signs and symptoms should not be overlooked. Some of the concerns that follow an underbite are:
- eating and chewing problems
- tooth decay and subsequent cavities
- chronic mouth breathing
- difficulty with speech
- sleep apnea
- low self-esteem and confidence
Underbite Treatment Options
Detecting the presence of an underbite is pretty straightforward. And like most dental misalignment conditions, ideally, an orthodontist is the most trusted source when choosing the best fix for your underbite.
After examining your teeth and jaw structure, they will be able to recommend the best possible fix. It could either be an orthodontic treatment with braces or surgery. Let us take a look at the top three treatment options and how they can help you get your best smile back!
1. Orthodontic treatment - Underbite correction using braces is the most reliable and cost-effective solution for both children and adults. Since adult jaws and teeth require more time and effort to correct, opting for braces could seem embarrassing. The good news is that with the advancement in dentistry, you can now opt for clear or transparent braces known as Invisalign aligners which are hardly noticeable yet just as effective as the metal braces.
2. Surgery - In most cases where the misalignment due to underbite is severe, doctors often suggest undertaking a surgical procedure. It could also be conducted in addition to your orthodontic treatment to see the desired results for your beautiful smile.
3. Cosmetic Dentistry - If you want to avoid orthodontic braces and jaw surgeries, you could opt for cosmetic dentistry. This procedure uses cutting-edge technology to track your jaw readings to improve your jawline and facial profile. This procedure could fix your underbite in as little as three weeks.
One thing to note here is that although surgery and cosmetic dentistry are quicker alternatives compared to braces, both are expensive solutions that might cost you up to $40,000 each. So, make sure you understand which treatment works best for your budget and oral needs by discussing it with your orthodontist before you make a decision.
As you saw, an underbite is a common misalignment condition that not only affects your physical appearance but could also give rise to further medical conditions. So, whatever is the cause of your misalignment, it would be wise to visit your orthodontist and revive your bright, confident and healthy smile without further delay.
Author Bio: Emily Taylor found the perfect fit for herself as the Online Marketing Manager at Thurman Orthodontics in Fresno CA as she believes that a great smile does more than just make a person look great – it makes them feel great as well. The power of a smile has always been a mystery to Emily, and she loves researching and writing about it. She loves to write about everything to do with a healthy bite and a beautiful smile – whether it is ways to achieve it or the importance of it in the various aspects of life. What brings a big smile to Emily’s face is her family and surfing. She also likes to bake, and her children and co-workers call her the cookie fairy!
As with anything you read on the internet, this article should not be construed as medical advice; please talk to your doctor or primary care provider before making any changes to your wellness routine.
Content may be edited for style and length.
Materials provided by: