Posted on Jun 02, 2017, 6 a.m.
Here are some natural treatments that may help prevent or soothe the discomfort of kidney stones and facilitate the healing process.
Anyone who has ever passed kidney stones can relate in excruciating detail just how painful that process can be. People suffering from this event often end up in the emergency room desperately seeking any medical relief available. If the kidney stones do not pass and the pain does not subside, a CT scan may be needed to determine the size and number of stones present. A relatively new procedure called a lithotripsy uses a tiny laser to break up the stones in a non-invasive medical procedure, but it is not recommended unless the stones are larger than 8 mm in size.
As with many other health problems, prevention is a better course of action than treatment after the disease has developed. The major cause of kidney stones is an unhealthy diet and inadequate hydration. The standard American diet that is high in sugar, sodium and animal products result in a buildup of toxins. Proper hydration could help eliminate some of these toxins that contribute to the formation of kidney stones.
Fortunately, the size and number of kidney stones can be reduced considerably through a variety of natural treatments. Switching to a healthier diet and increasing fluid intake is the first step, but it is important that specific foods and nutrients be included to not only prevent, but also dissolve or pulverize the stones.
- Magnesium - Many Americans are deficient in this beneficial nutrient. Calcium supplementation is promoted by the health industry to support strong bones and combat osteoporosis, but calcium should be balanced by proper magnesium supplementation which is needed for every bodily function. Studies have shown that magnesium can reduce kidney stones about 92 percent.
- Dandelion Root - It is possible to pull a dandelion root out of the ground (easier when the ground is soaked), clean it and make tea. Most people would prefer to simply buy some dried organic dandelion root that is available at health stores as a tea, extract or capsule. This root works to cleanse the kidneys as well as the whole body.
- Pomegranate juice - While pomegranates are delicious, the juice is sour and has astringent qualities that support healthy kidneys. The juice can be used to make a healthy smoothie to help break down kidney stones. Organic juice is always best whatever the variety.
- Basil - Basil is a popular ingredient in many recipes, and the herb is another plant that is beneficial in preventing and reducing kidney stones. Basil can be made into a tea that is a great kidney toner, and a teaspoon of basil juice with raw honey is an effective treatment to help clear up kidney stones.
- Roller Coaster - While riding a roller coaster is an exciting experience, the jolts and vibrations of a roller coaster ride can also cause a kidney stone to pass. This does not always happen, but studies show stones can be jostled into position to help them pass. Anyone in pain from kidney stones may be willing to try anything; even a scary roller coaster ride.
Modern medical technology is wonderful and beneficial in many ways, but the medical community does not necessarily think in terms of natural treatments. Many health issues including kidney stones can be avoided or treated effectively by eating a healthy diet and supplementing with nutrients that are lacking in the standard American diet. Many prescription drugs are derived from plants found in nature, and many other plants can be used in their natural state. It is always important to check with a health provider before choosing to begin using any alternate treatment for a health problem.